Monday, March 17, 2008

Casualties along old Route 66






The Historic Route 66, the first cross country road from Chicago to LA, was closed when the Interstate System came into being. I40 now follows a lot of the old southern route. In fact, along a lot of the way, there is the 4 lane I40, old unnumbered Historic Route 66 and 1-2 railroad tracks.

When I40 was opened, nobody went on 66, businesses failed, gas stations closed, motels closed, people moved out and all the buildings were left behind to the ravages of time.

Here's some pictures of the abandoned buildings. I did take some out the window as we were driving, but they're not too bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving all the pictures! I feel like I'm on the road with you! You guys have fun!!!

enveehaze said...

Did you get to stop & get out & take any pictures? I love old abandoned things as photographic subject matter...

Anonymous said...

wonderful job on the blog.

mark